About the Niagara CAER Group
This website exists to educate the public about the activities of the Niagara CAER Group Chemical Manufacturing firms in the Niagara Region. CAER® is a registered trade mark of the Chemistry Industry Association of Canada (CIAC) and stands for Community Awareness and Emergency Response.
A major initiative of the CIAC is "Responsible Care". Click here for a brief description of its components. For detailed information on Responsible Care and its Codes of Practice, visit the CIAC's Website.
What does Niagara CAER Group do?
Member companies participate in the following activities in the Niagara region:
- Chemical Plant Open Houses
- High School Tours of the Plants
- Community Environmental Activities
- Publicizing Plant Chemical Emissions Data
- Risk Communication - What risks the Chemical Plants pose to the community
- Chemical Plant Tours: Tours of a specific plant may be arranged by submitting a request by e-mail to email@example.com including the name of the group, the reasons for the tour and if there are specific areas of interest.
- Ensure that Plant Emergency Response procedures are in place & current
- Conduct Emergency Exercises in conjunction with Fire, Police, Ambulance, & Hospital services at a minimum once every 5 years.
- Maintain Transportation Emergency Response Teams in the event of chemical transportation emergencies such as spills